Monday 14 May 2012

Birds for all occasions - bird builder punch

Yesterday morning I had my monthly card making class and the theme was Birds for all occasions.  Here are the cards I designed using the bird punch (mainly), the owl punch ones will follow in tomorrrow's post ...

If you would like to come along to a class, or even have class of your own, do have a look at my class list.  I will be updating these for classes in July and August very soon so contact me to be added to the mailing list and get the details when available.


This anniversary card is created using Pool Party and Island Indigo from the 2011-13 In Colours collection.  Pool Party is my current favourite colour so expect to see a few more ideas using this in the coming weeks.  The base is an A4 sheet of Pool Party card stock which I have cut into half 'long ways' and then folded landscape to create the A6 base, however to make the card a little more extravagant I have then folded the front back on itself before adding the front panel which has been created using the new Labels Collection Framelits dies which were released in the Summer mini catalogue earlier this month.  Another favourite and great for creating borders, backgrounds, image panels and so much more.  If you have a Big Shot machine then you have to get a set at just £24.95 for 5 dies that fit inside each other, or can be used individually.  You can also use these on other die cutting machines, not just the Big Shot!

The inner label/framelit has been run through the Perfect Polka dots embossing folder before being adhered to the slightly larger Island Indigo shape.  I have then punched out 2 birds using the Bird Builder punch from Very Vanilla and layered up the wings using dimensional sticky pads.  The branches were created with the leaves from the same punch.  Finally a sentiment from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set inked in Island Indigo onto Very Vanilla card stock and punched out with the Word Window punch, and some Basic Pearls to embellish the corner.  This card can easily be changed to a wedding card just by using the 'Newlyweds' sentiment.

After a rather sedate card I went for another 'bird' themed idea, but quite different :)...


Do you recognise him?  Aparently everyone is obsessed with this little character and his little friends...

The Bird Builder punch features as the 'eyebrows', the 'tail feathers' and the 'hair' on this little guy from the Ange Birds games.  The 'eye's' and 'beak' were created with the Owl Punch which I will share with you tomorrow.

The body is just a 1' 3/8" circle punch cut from Real Red card stock and then one cut from Whisper White, and then punched again to create the 'tummy'.

If you look closely you will see that I have used some lined thread wrapped around the 'sling shot' which was created from 3 Word Window punches using a piece of DSP from the Well Worn paper pack. The background piece is River Rock, which I don't think I have ever featured on a card, so a new one for me; run through the Stripes embossing folder and then layered onto the So Saffron card base.

I hope you like these ideas using the Bird Builder punch.  Do check back tomorrow for the Owl Punch ideas, which is just as versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment